Latest News

Sacramento DA / Media / Press Release Archives / 2016 Press Release Archives / 3.26.16: Defendant Sentenced for Murdering Woman with Metal Safe Box

Defendant Sentenced for Murdering Woman with Metal Safe Box

DATE:  March 25, 2016

CASE:  Matthew Drake

PROSECUTOR:  Deputy District Attorney Andrew Smith, Homicide Unit

The Honorable Delbert Oros sentenced Matthew Drake to 51 years to life in prison.  Judge Oros found that Drake suffered a prior strike conviction for felony battery.   On February 22, 2016, a jury convicted Drake of first-degree murder.  The jury also found true a use of a deadly weapon allegation.  

Drake knew the victim, Fallon Boroja, from a previous board and care home.  On April 22, 2014, Drake happened to run into Ms. Boroja at a park.  Later that afternoon, they returned to Ms. Boroja’s house.  The two kissed and hugged on the couch and then went into Ms. Boroja’s bedroom.  A short time later, a housemate discovered Ms. Boroja’s body on the bedroom floor.  She had been bludgeoned to death with a metal safe box.

Drake was arrested the next morning.  He told the detective that Ms. Boroja attacked him with the safe and he defended himself.  He stated that during the struggle, the safe fell on her head.  Drake said he believed Ms. Boroja was going to die as a result, so he hit her several times in the head so she would not suffer.

 

Click here for PDF version

Copyright 2016 - All Rights Reserved by Sacramento District Attorney's Office.
California Relay Service 800.735.2929 TDD | Alternate Formats & Accessibility Policy | Privacy Policy | Conditions of Use